ReviewerLarissa's Reviews > Turned

Turned by Morgan Rice

Jun 28, 11

Read in April, 2011

Review for: Bloddeuedd

I’ll be honest, when B. sent me this book and I saw the title, my thoughts were: “Gawd, not another Vampire Diaries, Twilight rip-off!” ‘Cause there seems to be no end of those. It’s like the DaVinci Code all over again! While Turned is in no way original or refreshing – at least to me (let’s face it, there’s not much I haven’t seen and that includes lizard vampires!) – it was a nice read and I was glad B. sent it over. Let me tell you why.

Caitlin’s mum has the moving bug, so being the new gal at school is nothing new for her. She’s seen it all. Only this time there’s something different. This time when she stands up to a pack of bully’s outside school Caitlin herself changes. Suddenly she is faster and stronger but also sensitive to light and she has a desire to feed. Sound familiar? Yeah. Enter the dark, mysterious and brooding Caleb aaaaaaand start the romance! Well insta love and jealousy for Caleb is not a single man!

For Caitlin nothing’s as it seems anymore and she needs answers, but Caleb need Caitlin just as much. No, not what you think. Alright, maybe a bit! He also needs her to find a certain mysterious artifact.

The story is short. In my opinion too short to tell the story accurately, but it works. It’s an easy read with not a lot of world building and stock characters. Yet somehow the author makes it work. Caitlin and Caleb could be any pair of characters in the many vamp books out there. There’s nothing unique there, but still the story is entertaining and I found myself hoping there would be more.

What I did like about Caitlin is that she doesn’t give up. She fights back. She doesn’t just lie down and die. A girl’s gotta appreciate that!

There are also a few things that didn’t work for me. One was the relationship with her brother Sam. They are supposed to be very close, yet he suddenly ups and leaves. Then there is the instant love between Caitlin and Caleb. While instant love is nothing new, things move very very fast and I expected more from a vamp as old as Caleb. He’s what 800-something? Yet he behaves like a teenager. This is a personal peeve of mine. 800 years is a long long long time. You’d think he’d be some kind of Zen master or something. Sometimes I find that authors don’t treat the subject of age very well. What would it do to a person to live as long as a 1000 years?

In any case Turned was a likable, easy, dark read that you can read in between other books as it is short. Don’t look for depth, but you’re sure to be entertained!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turned.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Smith Completely agree with your review couldn't of put it better myself

ReviewerLarissa Amy wrote: "Completely agree with your review couldn't of put it better myself"

Thanks :-)

Jasmine I also agree with everything you said

Amanda I felt similarly about the book. Nice to see that someone else noticed the whole just throwing in centuries cause it looks cool and works with the plot thing. Great review.

ReviewerLarissa Thank you Amanda :-)

It's a thing authors do that doesn't always work out for the best!

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany I whole heartily agree about the Caleb thing. He should not have been so... "Teeny Bopping" I want to call it. I keep waiting for this to get better, but I find a lot of it unrealistic and too easily found. Like the first 6 books takes place over the course of what a month? I feel like Rice was in a hurry to get these books finished.mthey had potential to be awesome, but didn't deliver completely.