Saly's Reviews > The Soldier And The Baby

3192922
Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: harlequin-silhouette, virgin-heroines, category-romance
Read in July, 2011

I loved the Solider and the Baby. At times I couldn't stop laughing or stop appreciating the courage and resilience of the heroine.

Carlie Forrest aka Sister Maria is still an apprentice nun, she has still not taken her final vows despite wanting to. She has spent her time ever since she was seventeen and witnessed the massacre of her village with her parents(they were missionaries) in Sisters of Benevolence. But now San Pablo is in a dicey situation, it is war and only Carlie has stayed behind when everyone has left. The dictator's step-daughter Caterina died giving birth to a baby boy and she promised that she would make sure he reaches his American father.

Reilly is an ex-soldier doing a favor to his friend who died. The last place he wants to be in is San Pablo, he is tired of wars and jungles, he only wants peace and quiet. He doesn't believe Carlie when she says she's not the spoiled Caterina, so she lets him believe what he wants and they make their way through the jungle with the baby.

Reilly doesn't like Caterina, she doesn't have the best of reputations. Carlie confuses him, first she doesn't breast-feed(they have this whole embarrassing conversation), and her eyes look innocent when he knows what sort of a person she is and she is a good mother and travels without complaining even when her foot is injured.

Carlie has spent her life sheltered and obedient and Reilly makes her frustrated and angry. She never raises her voice but with him she can't stop. She just wants to take her final vows but slowly she is coming awake of the sleep she has been in the past nine years and healing.

Carlie is so innocent, I mean when Reilly tries to kiss her you could see she was really confused, and when they have to spend that night in the same room.
Poor Reilly when he finds out that she is a nun and that he is attracted to her. I loved the book, every moment of it. How Reilly is one of those tough men, and then he is so gentle with the baby and even comforts Carlie when she has a flashback(and more when she asks and curses like anything).

I loved the ending and seeing these two fall in love. Reilly didn't stand a chance in front of her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soldier And The Baby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

AgentScully I loved this one too Saly! Methinks I need to re-read.

Saly AgentScully this is gonna be a re-read for me soon, I loved it that much. I loved that moment when she asks him I don't think you want me and then you know... :D

message 3: by willaful (new)

willaful I want to read this for a challenge -- do you happen to remember if the heroine is a virgin? I would guess so, but you never know. :-)

Saly willaful wrote: "I want to read this for a challenge -- do you happen to remember if the heroine is a virgin? I would guess so, but you never know. :-)"

Yes she is a virgin, willa :)

message 5: by willaful (new)

willaful Thanks Saly. This book is perfect for my challenge -- it's based on the song "Like a Virgin" by Madonna. :-)

Saly willaful wrote: "Thanks Saly. This book is perfect for my challenge -- it's based on the song "Like a Virgin" by Madonna. :-)"

Ooh I hope you love it as much as I did.

message 7: by willaful (new)

willaful I didn't like it as much as you, but it does have some very sweet moments.

Saly Yes, it did have some great moments, 3 and a half stars ain't so bad :)

message 9: by Booklover (new)

Booklover Great Review Saly!

So intrigued by this one specially after knowing h is a nun:)

message 10: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Hope you like it, BL.

message 11: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Mia wrote: "Great review, Saly. Added it. Reading it ASAP. Love the mix of Virginal Heroine, tough guys and ohhhh!! Ohhhhh!!! Ohhh! cute baby :D"

Mia you will love it :)