Mycroft's Reviews > Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

F_50x66
Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, surprisingly-good
Read on June 28, 2011

Having barely more than 'no' interest in mountain climbing, I didn't expect to get sucked into this book the way I did. Every spare minute from when I started the book, I spent reading it until I got to the end. Krakauer does a wonderful job putting together different perspectives to create a compelling and well researched narrative.

Krakauer's rebuttal (an endnote in the paperback) of 'The Climb' is also worth reading. In the rebuttal, Krakauer talks about his methodology for researching 'Into Thin Air' including talking with as many guides, Sherpa and clients on the mountain the day in question as he could. This methodology allowed Krakauer to combine information from multiple sources to come up with a best assessment of the events of the day despite the perceptual weaknesses of each individual involved. This also allowed Krakauer to recognize a mis-perception on his part which was particularly telling about the condition folks were in at the top of the mountain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Thin Air.