Ibis3's Reviews > The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins

Sep 17, 11

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, science, twentieth-century, biology, free, 2011
Read from August 30 to September 17, 2011 , read count: once

I've already read The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution, The God Delusion, and The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution, so I was prepared to really enjoy this one. Especially since it's often lauded as one of the best works on Darwinian evolution of the last century. But, truth be told, I was a tad underwhelmed. After having read the other works (not to mention The Origin of Species), it's not like I needed explanations about the general workings of the process, nor any persuasive convincing about the fractal rightness of Darwin's theory ("neo-ised" of course with molecular genetics and evo-devo). So I was a little disappointed not to learn very much new stuff--though some of the details about the digital alphabet of DNA was somewhat interesting. The highlight for me was the discussion of bats' echolocation.

As an aside, I found it rather annoying that he kept pulling out biblical and religious metaphors. Why do that? It couldn't really have been anything but deliberate. 7/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Watchmaker.

08/31/2011 page 6