Carly (Lis les Livres)'s Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Jun 28, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 14 to 27, 2011

There's a reason why this book has a 4.25 average rating on goodreads. C'est magnifique! Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this one since the title was so corny, but I picked it up and read the blurb since I'm very much interested in the French language. It wasn't until last summer that I actually read it. I'm the kind of person who reads books about the places theyre at when he or she is on vacation. However, I read this on an extremely delayed train ride from Venice to Rome which was after I was in Paris. I still got that magical feeling of being there though, and was like"Oh, I was just there!" or "Darn, I didn't know that cool thing was there!"
On to the story, yes it is a bit predictable but the characters are what makes the story. All of them are funny and very real. I love Anna because she's just a girl who's trying to get situated in a new area. She fails initially at speaking French, but she gets it together (If you don't speak French, don't worry. Everything is basic since Anna is learning throughout the book.) I felt for her when she was ostracized. And of course there's the Etienne St. Clair. Why don't boys like this exist in real life? He's witty and kind to everybody. He is probably my number one literary crush.
This is a light, cute read with a ton of humor and romance that is not overbearing.

Would I recommend to a friend? MOST DEFINITELY!

P.S. I wrote a letter and sent my copy of Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door to Mrs. Perkins, and I received a thoughtful postcard and my books back. I love this lady and everything she writes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

Quotes Carly Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Boys turns girls into such idiots.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul.”

“Soap?"
"School of America in Paris" he explains. "SOAP".
Nice. My father sent me here to be cleansed.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I'm a little distracted by this English French American Boy Masterpiece.”

Stephanie Perkins
“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Do you like it?" she asks. Universal bitch speak for I think it's hideous.

Stephanie Perkins
“I wish for the thing that is best for me.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Girl scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.”

Stephanie Perkins
“It's not right. It hasn't been right, not since I met you.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I wasn't being a git. I wasn't even being a twat, or a wanker, or any of your other bleeding Briticisms -”

Stephanie Perkins
“He pats his way around the the bed and slides back in. "Ow," he says.
"yes?"
"My belt. Would it be weird..."
I'm thankful he can't see me blush."Of course not." And I listen to the slap of leather, s he pulls it out of his belt loops. He lays it gently on my hardwood floor.
"Um," he says. "Would it be weird-"
"yes"
"Oh, piss off. I'm not talking trousers. I only want under the blankets. That breeze is horrible." He slides underneath, and now we're lying side-by-side. In my narrow bed. Funny, but I never never imagined my first sleepover with a guy being, well, a sleepover.”