stormhawk's Reviews > Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America

Super Mario by Jeff   Ryan

2016887
Jun 29, 2011

bookshelves: pre-publication-galley, kindle
Recommended to stormhawk by: netgalley.com
Read from June 28 to 29, 2011

I love video games.

I have't spent as much time playing video games as I have reading, but video gaming cuts seriously into my reading time.

Most of my video gaming happens on some flavor of a Nintendo system. I haven't had all of them, but I've had enough of them to know the characters, games, and Nintendo executives that make up this story of "How Nintendo Conquered America," and in truth, it did.

I've played the NES, owned the SNES, a Game 'n Watch game (Fire), N64, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy AdvanceSP, and now a Wii. I've been a subscriber to Nintendo Power, and know that The Great Miyamoto has a fascination with owls (about which, incidentally, no information is to be gleaned in this book).

But I didn't know much of the history of the company and their game development. I probably could have bought a lot of stock in the company if I'd stowed the quarters that went into Donkey Kong, Jr. in a jar instead of sticking them in a slot.

Super Mario explains everything you ever wanted to know about the history of video gaming, including marketing and development, and isn't shy about enumerating Nintendo's misses along with the hits. The Wii, about which I would have liked to have known more, gets short shrift in the concluding chapters ... but the focus is on the early days of gaming. There's a bit of speculation about the future of gaming, but my expectation about Nintendo is that it will be something unimagined.

There is an unfortunate tendency to draw comparisons to other pop culture icons, but like Bowser's repeated kidnappings of the Princess, I decided to accept them as part of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Mario.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari jealous! this is on my to-read list also! Is it an ebook or a hardcover?

stormhawk I have it as an ebook. I was very happy to be chosen to receive a pre-publication galley. I hope to check out a physical copy in case there is a photos section.

message 3: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari Oh no you didn't!!!! Lol I signed up for that giveaway too and didn't win awwww. Well I'll make sure to check out your review and see if its worth to read!!! I was a NES/nintendo 64 nerd when I was younger haha so I figured I'd check it out :)