Theresa 's Reviews > The Monsters of Templeton

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

Jun 27, 09

bookshelves: fiction-general, audiobooks, 2009, 2008
Read in January, 2009

I started this audiobook in September 2008, but when I finished the third CD in the set, my CD player stopped working. I received a new deck for Christmas, but had forgotten about the book by then. Not until recently did I remember it and I dug out the remaining CDs (the 3rd CD is still in the deck which is gathering dust in my garage).

This is a book that I am fortunate to have picked up on audiobook instead of paperback. I don't think I would have made it to the end of the book if I were to read it. There isn't anything wrong with the book, it just moves slowly.

About mid-way through the book, I found myself intrigued with the stories of the main character, Willie Upton's, long-deceased family. Sadly, I didn't connect with Willie - she isn't someone I would want to know - but her family was fascinating. So many secrets, so many lies.

Some of the things mentioned in the stories are quite horrific... images of what the white man has done to the natural world and the Indians are clearly painted for your mind's eye.

I'm glad that I (finally) finished this book... now I just have to get CD 3 out of the deck so I can donate this audiobook to my local library. Where is my screwdriver?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monsters of Templeton.

06/16/2009 "On chapter 9... started this last year and my CD player broke. Started again yesterday."
06/16/2009 "On chapter 11... started this last year and my CD player broke. Started again yesterday."
06/18/2009 "On chapter 15... audiobook."
06/23/2009 "On chapter 20..."
06/25/2009 "On chapter 23... Seems like there are a lot of things to tie up with only 2-1/2 more CDs to go."