Lady's Reviews > And Both Were Young

And Both Were Young by Madeleine L'Engle

Jun 28, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, wishlist
Read on June 27, 2011, read count: 1

The thing I love about Madeleine L'Engle is that her writing can move from a straight forward telling of the story and then glance over and be so beautiful and evocative. The dialog is a bit simple and formal, but it was originally published in 1949 so that's understandable.

I loved this book because it's simple and sweet but still moving and transformative. She doesn't deny the darker parts of life or of this world, doesn't soften them or skirt around them; but she doesn't revel in them either. L'Engle exhorts us to remember, because it's worthwhile and because in remembering we become better people. And her characters are transformed both by the difficulties and by beauty but always toward goodness; transformed into being more whole and more brave and more honest. And in making them more truly themselves it's a naming sort of book which makes it wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Both Were Young.

Quotes Lady Liked

Madeleine L'Engle
“She began to feel the sense of wonderful elation that always came to her when beauty took hold of her and made her forget her fears.”
Madeleine L'Engle, And Both Were Young