Phil Ansell's Reviews > Angel

5612096
Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: could-not-finish
Read from June 28 to July 03, 2011

There are YA novels that are enjoyed by both teenagers and adults. Then there are those that only teenagers can enjoy. This book is definitely the latter of the two. In fact at times I thought it was actually written by a teenager!

I have read lots of YA novels but I really struggled to get through most pages of this book and eventually had to give up half way through. I found the writing to be basic and the vocabulary limited, which gave the story a very immature feel that made it impossible for me to get lost in. Whilst the premise for the story sounded very interesting, with Angels being the antagonists, the events that unfolded in the story mostly seemed ridiculous and not very well thought out, and I found myself rolling my eyes and thinking "yeah right" many times. Just one example, of many, being that once Willow had gone on the run with Alex the police told her Aunt, who Willow lived with, that she had a 'secret boyfriend' that she had run away with. This was just accepted by Willow's Aunt even though it was made clear earlier that Willow had had no interest or experience with boys. It was at this point that I just couldn't continue with the book any longer, I had perservered as long as I could but could not get passed the immature writing style.

"Utterly intoxicating and deeply compelling" it is not.
If I was still in my teenage years I may have enjoyed this book but as an adult its just far to immature and poorly written for my tastes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.

06/28/2011 page 62
06/29/2011 page 92
18.0% "It's going to be a challenge getting through this book."
06/30/2011 page 110
22.0% "ok so its a struggle now to get through each page, its really not engaging and I can't quite put my finger on why??"
show 1 hidden update…