Tinav's Reviews > Slay Ride

Slay Ride by Chris Grabenstein

Nov 18, 11

Read from November 02 to 18, 2011

Just finished the audiobook of Slay Ride, by Chris Grabenstein. I must confess to not loving it as much as I adore his Jersey shore summer comedies.

Christopher Miller, FBI special agent, is 50 years old and riding a desk in the New Jersey office. A legend in the field and beloved by colleagues, he's disliked by rivals and especially an ambitious superior officer in the Bureau. But he's decided that, given his age and a promise to his wife and daughter not to take foolish risks anymore, it's okay to be riding a desk.

But then he is begged by the wife of a missing ad exec to help find her husband. And he gets a strange call from the superior who dislikes him, to go out to Brooklyn and coddle an old Russian woman with diplomatic connections, whose house was burgled.

As always with Grabenstein, there is a good strong set of characters in the book, well-drawn. Drama and comedy come together well. And the thriller is built well, threads all coming together in the end, good action sequences, etc. The killer/kidnapper is absolutely nucking futs, and his violence got to me at times. And one minor problem with the writing in this novel, was the tendency for characters to over-explain things to each other and to me, the reader. The repetitions or explications of the obvious annoyed me a bit.

There's nothing wrong with this book, per se. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a thriller. Maybe I just can't handle gruesome, gory details anymore (getting wimpy in my old age?). It's pretty good. Don't know if I'll read the sequel. But call me next time a new John Ceepak Jersey shore novel comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slay Ride.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Prooost (new)

Prooost Davis I do love the title!