Eshamcd's Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

U 50x66
Jun 28, 2011

I had to read this for my 7th grade English class.
Personally, I hate assigned books. Still do. But "The Outsiders" was pure gold. No pun intended...
Now as I sit down to write this, keep in mind I haven't read this in a long, long time.
Ponyboy, a "Greaser", is not your regular rough gangster kid. Although he may not admit it out loud, he's a very sweet and caring person, especially to his "family" (close friends, who helped raise him). I believe they live in Ponyboy's house, after his parents died.
I loved Soda-Pop. I honestly did. He was aloof, kind, and brought this humorous approach to everything- except when it came to the Socs. (Not pronounced "Socks", but like the beginning of "Social".)
The "Socs" were like today's jocks, only they carried around bottles and knives and took joy out of beating the shit out of "Greasers".
One of Ponyboy's friends ends up knifing a Soc, because he thought he'd be killed when the Soc tried to beat him (he was badly beaten by the same guy before- more inside info would've been nice but not necessary).
So Ponyboy and his friend go off on this big adventure to run away. Not very well planned either- everyone was worried.
There's a hint of romance, some attempted life-saving, a few sad "Greaser" deaths, and playing with some discrimination, "The Outsiders" is a must-read. Pick it up sometime, and you'll be hooked.
I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen a play, which was scripted beautifully. Great job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.