Andres's Reviews > Axis

2207574
Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from June 27 to 30, 2011

I picked up Axis right after it was published because I remembered being frustrated with the somewhat open ending of Spin. The fact that it didn't draw me in like Spin did should have clued me in that this is a very different book.

I didn't finish it that first time, and I only picked it up again now that the third book in the trilogy is coming out (and after reading Spin again to refresh all the forgotten details.) All I can say is I was exhilarated reading Spin again, and terribly deflated reading Axis.

This book starts off strong but starts to meander and weaken as it limps along. The characters start off strong as well, with only one character from Spin making a reappearance. As the story plods forward, though, they end up being wooden chess pieces (move-here-do-this-for-the-plot) that speak in boring plot or Big Ideas explanations. The whole book is a bridge between Spin and Vortex, and it really really feels like a bridge: setting up the scenario for the next book but not doing a whole lot on its own. There's a lot of waiting around but doing nothing going on. There's really not a lot of plot, not a lot of explanation for all the talk that happens, nothing at all like what Spin gave us.

I was very disappointed with this book. I would have been furious if I had finished it the first time since I would have had to wait 4 years for the third book. Here's hoping that Vortex makes up for Axis!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Axis.