Beadyjan's Reviews > Accidents of Providence

Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: historical
Read from June 28 to 29, 2011

I was kindly supplied with this book by Netgalley to review, I've had some great reads through there and discovered some super new authors. What attracted me to read this one was the description which likened it to Fingersmith and The Dress Lodger both books I really loved. The cover looks enticing and the basic principal of the storyline sounds interesting.

I wanted to love this too, I really did - but sadly it missed the mark completely. Its a historical account of an investigation into a dead baby found buried in the 17th century when concealing the death of an illegitimate child was classed as murder.

I failed to engage with the heroine Rachel Lockyear, in fact all the characters were 2 dimensional, the story line is disjointed and dull and the writing style is turgid and difficult to get into. There are a few bald Americanisms thrown into this story supposedly set in 1600s London, and I got absolutely no sense of place or time both of which could have been painted so descriptively.
It was pretty darned awful in every way and the nauseatingly sentimental and lengthy scenes of alleged romance and love failed to stir my passion, leaving me yawning and longing for a mug of cocoa.

I fail to see how anyone could even loosely mention it in the same breath as the 2 aforementioned books to which its compared as there truly is NO comparison.

By the way if you did enjoy Fingersmith and the Dress lodger - and want a good recommendation of something similar let me urge you to try

I'm so disappointed not to be able to give this a great review and feel sure it will appeal to some readers - just not readers who will be expecting something on the lines of Fingersmith as I was.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Accidents of Providence.

Frances Completely "spot on" critique.