Sonia's Reviews > The Shadow and the Star

The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale

2073169
Jun 27, 11

Read in June, 2011

I just happened to pick his book up when I started to read it and soon I was really pulled into the story. While the story itself mainly takes place in London, a good part is set in Hawaii which I thought to be so interesting and different. So the reader gets an idea of what it was like on the island at the time the story was set, around the 1880s. The main characters are Sam and Leda. Sam is really mysterious, a mix between a proper gentleman and a ninja spy, but he also has a secret in his past about what happened to him in his childhood. My only problem with this is that the story never really explains what happened to him. As far as I know, this is the second in the series, so one would probably have to read the first book to know about Sam's background. Besides this, Leda I found to be likable, if a bit too obsessed with what is proper. Both of the characters struggle to keep their distance from the other but as is meant to be they end up together. It was a nice romance and sure to be a good addition to any TBR list.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow and the Star.