Kathi's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Jun 27, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 24 to 26, 2011 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I really like Jasper Fforde's imagination and writing style and this book does not disappoint. I did not know until I finished the book, however, that it is the first of a planned 3 book series and so, expecting a stand-alone, I was unhappy with the number of unanswered questions.

I did look in Wikipedia for information on Albert Henry Munsell, a real person who invented the Munsell color system, an early attempt at creating an accurate system for numerically describing colors. Since society in Shades of Grey is a caste system based on color perception, it was interesting to me to find a factual basis for the underlying color system.

There are truly appalling things in this book, and I can't decide if Fforde's style makes them more or less appalling.

I did think the main characters, many of whom were supposed to be about 20, generally acted as if they were about 13. That may reflect the rigidity and, to some extent, simplistic-ness of their society, but it repeatedly snagged my attention and detracted from the story.

9/10 on my personal scale, 4/5 here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.