Becky's Reviews > After the Golden Age

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: library-books, 2011, fantasy, highly-recommended, mystery-and-thrillers, reviewed, science-fiction
Read from August 13 to 14, 2011

So it seems that this book was destined to help me make up for lost time! I absolutely could not put this book down once I started it. And I have to say that I was completely surprised by this book. It was so much better than I ever thought it would be.

It starts out feeling a little comicbookish, a little cartoony. I mean, it's about super heroes, for goodness sake. And that aspect of the story is very comicbookish - not that that is a bad thing. If that was all there was to the story, I'd have still liked it, but it would have been a 3-star like, rather than a 5-star love. But there was so much more to this story than a good vs bad, superhero vs villain story. This was a really interesting and innovative twist on the story that sucked me right in and kept me glued to the pages until there weren't any more of them. And now I feel a bit sad that it's over.

I was very surprised at how emotional this book was. I completely identified with the main character's feelings of isolation and desperation and despair and frustration and everything in the situation that she was in. In fact, I thought she handled the situation infinitely better than I would have. I would have probably shut down and closed up shop and said 'screw it, then'. I have to give Celia credit for not doing that, and not giving up.

I really loved this book, and as an introduction to Carrie Vaughn's writing, it was amazing. Now my only concern is that her other books might not live up to this one.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Golden Age.

08/13/2011 page 1
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Wow. I'm surprised that you liked it so well. Pleasantly. I'll have to move it up a few notches.

If you like her take on superheros, you might like Wild Cards. She is part of the team of the "new generation" of the Jokers and Aces.

Becky I was surprised as well, Chris. I thought it would be a 3-star book, a fun little story to breeze through. Well I breezed through it, but I found myself empathizing so much with the main character that I was almost getting depressed myself.

I read Mike The Paladin's review, and he didn't like it - felt like it'd been done before and better. I've never been much into superhero lit before, so I wouldn't know. But I loved this book for all the reasons he seemed not to. I hope you'd like it too.