jess's Reviews > Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds

Terrarium Craft by Amy Bryant Aiello

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, growing, craft
Read in June, 2011

I am a big, big fan of terrariums, as evidenced by the half dozen of them sprinkled around my house. And, small aside, I appear to have inadvertently passed this onto my stepson, who has been caught stealing pearlite from my stash in recent weeks and begging to go to antique stores for interesting glassware. whoops! Generally I prefer the 1970s "A World Under Glass" sort of terrarium books. If you've been my GR friend for long, you have read my rants at other terrarium books. So it was almost pointless for me to even pick this book up, but I did anyway, damn you blogosphere marketing blitz.

At first glance, I thought this book was kind of a novelty one-trick pony, in the vein of many of the other terrarium books I despise. However, upon more careful examination, I decided that it is actually useful and interesting. The list of resources is helpful for anyone who struggles to source some of the more interesting pieces of glassware & plant species for their terrariums. The designs are mostly not my taste, exactly, but the instructions on how to build and care for each type of terrarium is pretty helpful and clear. For the clear instructions & interesting resource list, I give this three stars. "I Liked It." Yes, I did.

The book is broken into practical matters, and then each type of terrarium style: forest, beach, desert, fantasy, with each small world recalling elements from these inspiration sources. I'm going to go super dep-lez confessional and admit that the terrariums with crystals and various rough-hewn gems were my favorites. My heart is on the plaid sleeve of my favorite wolf-howling-at-the-moon tshirt, here. It's just SO MYSTICAL.

Also, apparently the authors own a terrarium store in Portland, where you can source bits & bobbles of necessarily terrarium equipment (of course). When I told my recently terrarium-obsessed stepson about this store, he was dismissive, "Well, that takes all the fun out of it, doesn't it? If you can buy everything in one place?" He likes the hunting and searching for just the right pieces and bits, just like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terrarium Craft.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Ooh, I have been wanting to start making terrariums for years. Maybe I should start now. East Coast vs West Coast! I'll send you some shells & shit from Cape Cod.

jess Robin wrote: "Ooh, I have been wanting to start making terrariums for years. Maybe I should start now. East Coast vs West Coast! I'll send you some shells & shit from Cape Cod."

I could send you some shells from Puget Sound. Or.... gravel from Sleater Kinney Road...

message 3: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Now I am formulating all these plans for 50 terrariums, one for each state. !!!

jess Robin wrote: "Now I am formulating all these plans for 50 terrariums, one for each state. !!!"

I would say "That sounds awesome!" except I went on a terrarium-making binge a few years back, and now I have so many that we a hard time finding where to store them all and trying to keep them all watered and dusted. Plus, one of my cats is really good at knocking over delicate things. Blech.

message 5: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin I have that problem too! I can always give them away, though.