Genny's Reviews > Before I Fall

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, young-adult
Read from January 24 to 25, 2012

I enjoyed this one. It was a quick, easy read, as evidence that I could read it in 2 days. I will admit that there were parts that I skimmed over. Since Sammy is reliving the same day 7 times, there is a quite a bit of repetition, which works for the story. The author does not just cut and paste, there differences each time as Sammy makes adjustments to her actions each day, sometimes for the better and sometimes because she is a teenager who just realized she can get away with anything and there are no long lasting repercussions (or so she believes).

Sammy does begin to figure out that the point of her reliving this day, of all days, is to make changes, effect the outcome of certain events. Her struggle really is what events is she supposed to change and how? And in the end, what do these changes mean for her?

I found the ending satisfying, if not a little sad. Our heroine does finally figure out the point of her all, she also realizes a great deal about herself. And while it is not always good, she also learns to accept herself for who she is, realize the changes she would make, and accept the consequences of her actions and of fate. What I did enjoy is that the ending was not your typical "and they all lived happily ever after". There are consequences and fate can not always be diverted. We must learn to accept ourselves and our take responsibility for our choices, and sometimes, the end is just the end.

In the end, a very enjoyable read. I enjoy Ms Oliver's writing style and will look for others by her when I am in the mood for a nice light read, which with pregnancy brain, is generally what I am going for now a days!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Fall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Genny So far an interesting story. It is always difficult when an author uses a teen narrator and tries to make the teen sound "authentic" it just ends up sounding cheesy and corny. A little too much talk about "hooking up" and "making out" but I am enjoying the story overall.