Seth Jenson's Reviews > Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships

Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

Jun 27, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

Here are some interesting quotes from the book:

“When someone dumps their toxic feelings on us, explodes in anger or threats, shows disgust or contempt, they activate in us circuity for those very same distressing emotions. Their act has potent neurological consequences. Emotions are contagious. We catch strong emotions much as we do a rhino virus, and so can come down with an emotional cold. Every social interaction has an emotional subtext. Along with whatever else we are doing, we can make each other feel a little better, or even a lot better. Or, a little worse, or a lot worse…”

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.
-Marcus Aurelius

I also found the following facts very interesting:
-Those with an ongoing personal conflict are 2.5 times more likely to get a cold.
-Ongoing personal conflict puts people in the same category as vitamin c deficiency or lack of sleep.
-4.2 times more likely to get a cold if you are isolated and have few social connections.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Intelligence.

04/14 marked as: read