Rayne's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

I've given this a lot of thought. I won't deny that, at first, I liked it. I gave it a 3 star rating and I went on to ask for the sequel for review and get the short story that goes in between book 1 and 2. Back when I read this book, I was in quite the roll. I started one book and finished it in less that 24 hrs and then quickly moved on to the next one. It might've been one of the most productive summers of my life, when it comes to reading, but this is like the sixth or seventh time that I've gone back and changed the original rating of those books I read during the summer to a much lower score. At first glace it might seem like there is really nothing wrong with them. They are nicely-written and somewhat original and engaging. So, what's wrong with that? Why would I change the rating? Well, when you really think about what you are reading you might see some things you failed to see that first time. That happened to me with this book.

I was just staring at my bookshelf ,- as I like to do when I am bored since I am quite proud of my collection -, and decided to switch some books from one shelf to the other. Each board represents a level, the higher the board, the more I like the book. I was just staring at my third board and noticed this book was there, next to some books I've really, really liked and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong with that. So I pulled the book out and just stared at it for a full two minutes. Then I remembered the story and I couldn't stop the eyeroll and then the cringe as I remembered the real situation concerning Kate's mother meaning that (view spoiler). That is absolutely disgusting.

Furthermore, I was willing to put up with the butchering of Greek mythology and, in fact, that didn't bother me as much as I thought it would or as much as it has bothered other reviewers. I will admit I was extremely confused with the use of the of a Christian doctrine (view spoiler), but at that time I didn't give it that much thought. Sure, now I think it is silly, but, when you see the larger picture, you'll notice there are bigger things to worry about. Of course, one of the big ones is the shameless way the health of Kate's mother played a role in the whole plan. As someone who has had loved ones suffer from cancer and has gone through the whole process of grieving, I think it is extremely insensitive to use that in the way it was used in the book.

I liked Kate for the most part. I used to think she was feisty, but when I really thought about it, she didn't seem very strong anymore. She completely submitted herself to other people's wishes and allowed herself to be called someone else's property. It seems wrong for a character to be really strong through a lot of difficult times and then just take lying down all this manipulation and plotting behind her back.

I feel very uncomfortable with this book right now. Maybe it is unfair of me to change my mind so drastically so long after I read it, and that's part of the reason why I left it at 2 stars. There is a part of me that partially enjoyed it, but right now, I'm not very happy with it and I think that's really going to affect how I feel about the sequel and the short story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

06/27/2011 page 53