Andrea's Reviews > 1st to Die

1981118
Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, vacation-reading
Read in June, 2011

I'd never read any Patterson before this, mostly because his weird commercials made me think I wouldn't like his books much. Turns out I was right about that. I found this book to be fairly predictable, and I felt no real connection to any of the characters. I was also extremely annoyed by the premise--women with successful careers in law enforcement (and one reporter) create a murder club so they can solve crimes in this male-dominated world. I'm just really not sure why these women need a club to do their jobs, and I don't see how it really helped solve the case. In fact, I think it's a bit demeaning to suggest that these women can't do their jobs as well as men without their all-girl club. One member suggested they call themselves "murder chicks," which I'm sure would go a long way in getting the respect of their male counterparts. I was particularly irritated that this was done by a male author--what makes him think he can write credibly about this subject? It also didn't seem like the men in the book were all that difficult to work with. The main character detective goes on a rant about men after getting her case taken over by the FBI, but that seemed to me to be the FBI's fault, not "men." I also thought the end was bizarre and couldn't figure out why the villain would act that way, except that he/she's a psychopath, which I think is a cop-out in mystery writing. I also didn't get the connection between the main character and the love interest, except that they were written to be attracted to each other, so by jove, they were! I gave this two stars rather than one because I at least finished it, and maybe someday if I need a frivolous vacation read, I'll read another. I really like mysteries and sometimes wonder why I don't read more. Then I read some and realize why--most aren't very good. Surely it's not that hard to write a good one?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1st to Die.