AllAmerican IndianGirl's Reviews > Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World

Think by Lisa Bloom

Jun 27, 11

liked it
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

At last week’s Book Expo America, I had the chance to meet Lisa Bloom, the attorney, television journalist, and author of the new book THINK: Straight Talk for Women To Stay Smart In A Dumbed-Down World. Just finished the 242-pager this morning and here’s what I think…

Driven to pen “a call to intellectual arms” after decades of watching America dumb itself down, Bloom succeeds in revealing a lot of facts I wouldn’t otherwise have known, makes arguments I hadn’t previously considered, and reports a number of deeply disappointing statistics:

1) Did you know that while the U.S. maternal mortality rate is 11 times higher than Ireland’s, and while we rank 37th on the World Health Organization’s list of health care systems, some 38% of Americans believe our health care system is either ‘above average’ or ‘the best in the world’?

2) Have you consider that the imbalance between how much time Angelina devotes to humanitarian work and how much airspace the media targets at her personal life says more about the average America woman’s appetite for substance than it does about the media in general?

3) Can you believe that one out of every four American women would rather win America’s Next Top Model than the Nobel Peace Prize?

All of this is written with the goal of waking us up and (1) making us admit that we have a problem (2) showing us how we devolved to this place during four decades where women advanced by leaps and bounds in so many other arenas, and (3) offering a series of go get ‘em steps to help put us back on the right track. Her steps include giving yourself permission to outsource housework, carving out time to focus on what matters, and perhaps most importantly, reading....

For the entire review, please visit my blog at: http://bit.ly/my6fWY

www.AllAmericanIndianGirl.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think.