Amber's Reviews > Wicked Woods

Wicked Woods by Kailin Gow

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: own
Read from June 27 to 29, 2011

This was such a captivating story that anyone can enjoy. The writing is smooth and easy to follow along. This is my first read by Kailin Gow and I must say that I really enjoyed this story so much more than I imagined I would.

Briony moves to Wicked Woods, MA, to live with her Great Aunt Sophie after the disappearance of her Mother, Father and Brother. Aunt Sophie ownes an Inn at the edge of the woods where she and Briony live. With an unexpected knock on the door one night, Briony is opened up to a world she never knew existed and an understanding that her Great Aunt Sophie isn't just an older lady running a small town Inn, she's so much more. Briony is adjusting to not only a new school but a secret that only a small portion of the town is aware of.

Unexpectedly, Briony is running for her life and a beautiful boy appears and saves her life. Fallon is a new addition to the school and becomes close with Briony, but as they get closer, she learns he has a secret, as do most of the residents of Wicked Woods.

I can't wait to dive into Wicked Woods #2; SHIMMER

I love our protaganist, Briony. She has spunk but she is very relatable. The author didn't push the subject of her grieving which I found to be actually a good thing. It was more focused on the plot and didn't stray from it which kept the story flowing nicely. Our counterpart Fallon, was such an awesome character! He, despite his secret, was such a crush-worthy character and you really felt the intensity of his affection for Briony.

Of course, the secondary characters were great as well. I really loved Great Aunt Sophie. She captured my heart and there was a particular conversation she has with Briony that really moved me. Ms. Gow has written a great story, but not only that, she captures real-life subjects and has her characters handle situations with maturity. It's almost like she wrote simple life lessons within those pages.

Don't miss out on this spectacular story.

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Woods.

06/28/2011 page 31
12.0% "I will make a dent in this today, even if I have to glue it to my hands!! Beautiful writing though.."

Wendy Darling Oh, this is good to know. I've been meaning to try one of this author's books.

Amber You should def. try this one out. I am going right into the 2nd book now. I really liked this!

message 3: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Great review! I think I might have to give try since you already are starting book 2 :)

Amber It's a pretty quick read and I think you will like it. There's a couple of hotties to swoon over too! I know you like that Nic!! ;)

message 5: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Who me? Never ;)

Amber LMAO Nic!!

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene This sounds really good! Great review Amber!

Amber Arlene wrote: "This sounds really good! Great review Amber!"
Thanks Arlene. I really liked this book and the second one is even better!