Melanie's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

3206829
Jun 30, 11

Read from June 27 to 30, 2011

I was a bit disappointed in this booking knowing that it won a Pulitzer Prize last year. Each chapter has a different character in a different time, and sometimes it takes awhile to figure out what is going on. While there is at least one connection to either Bennie or Sasha there is not real flow to the book. There were individual chapters/characters I enjoyed and would have loved to read more about them. The author did something different by having a chapter that was PowerPoint journal. Kudos for creativity, but wish there was more to the characters. The reader only gets a chapter to get an attachment, and you might find out what happens but no emotional connection after their story is over.

Quotes Melanie Liked

Jennifer Egan
“If I had a view like this to look down on every day, I would have the energy and inspiration to conquer the world. The trouble is, when you most need such a view, no one gives it to you.”

Jennifer Egan
“I felt no shame in these activities, because I understood what almost no one else seemed to grasp: that there was only an infinitesimal difference, a difference so small that it barely existed except as a figment of the human imagination, between working in a tall green glass building on Park Avenue and collecting litter in a park. In fact, there may have been no difference at all.”

Jennifer Egan
“I can't tell if she's actually real, or if she's stopped caring if she's real or not. Or is not caring what makes a person real?”

06/28/2011 page 45