Kimberly's Reviews > Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women

Backlash by Susan Faludi

May 06, 08

it was ok
bookshelves: i-give-up

I tried to read this book 20 years too late, me thinks. Faludi relies on a lot of 80's media references to support her theory of backlash against the feminist movement of the 1970's. I was born in 1981 and unfortunately I'm only vaguely familiar with most of the statistics, events, and movies that Faludi discusses in Backlash. And I'm not really that motivated to sit with wikipedia open while I read this book and bring myself up-to-speed with the media happenings of the decade of my birth. Why is that? For the simple reason that I feel that someone else could have looked at the same time period and wrote the equally compelling book entitled: Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Men. Then again, what do I know? I can't even will myself to finish the book. As of late, when it comes to my dabblings in feminist literature/theory, I'd rather read Shulamith Firestone and get blown away.

At the very least, I have a copy of this book on my bookshelf, so I can tender further evidence of what an angry woman I am. This is the only book that I'm willing to lend out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backlash.