Julie's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: fiction, wishlist, vine
Read from July 28 to August 04, 2011 — I own a copy

While this is not the kind of book I typically read, I was definitely drawn in by the goofy premise. That’s exactly what it was – a goofy spin on the Lord of the Flies meets teenage beauty pageant contestants. A handful of self-obsessed image-conscious drama queens on a seemingly deserted island made for a fun commentary of the shallowness of pageant culture. But wait… The globally greedy Corporation has a hand in this situation and the girls are merely pawns in a greater conspiracy. Of course, hilarity ensues when hunky reality TV pirates land on the island and the beauty queens are eventually forced to confront The Corporation and foil their devious plot. I admit there were some comical moments that left me chuckling, especially since the author did such a great job making teenage girls sound authentic in that catty, superficial teenage girl way.

I really have to call into question what demographic this book is aimed at. Our darling beauty queens are between the ages of 15 & 19 years old. It is being promoted as Young Adult, but I would not recommend readers any younger than the characters due to the language, their sexual exploits (hello, sexy pirates!) and their candid discussions about body parts and urges. Sure, there are obligatory teen girl morals like Be True To Yourself, and the girls each come to terms with their own desires and ambitions, so I’m really on the fence here. I probably would have liked the book a lot more if the author had gone adult-mode and emulated Chuck Palahniuk, making the characters older and more risqué. Then we could have had some super raunchy good fun. As it stands, the satire, self-deprecation and social commentary were engaging enough, but I’m still unsure who the target audience is.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via the Amazon Vine program

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

07/29/2011 page 30