Bonnie's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 25, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, ghosties, library, mystery
Read from June 29 to 30, 2011

Peculiar Children Review

‘I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.’

Going into this book I had the impression that it would be this scary, ‘Shutter Island’ type novel. I also thought it was Adult Fiction. I was wrong on both counts; but was still not disappointed, the story was quite interesting.

‘Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children’ is the story of sixteen-year-old Jacob who has grown up listening to his grandfather’s tales of his younger years living in an orphanage with ‘Peculiar Children’ on an island off the coast of Wales. Jacob stopped believing his grandfather many years ago, but when his grandfather is attacked and dies mysteriously Jacob begins to wonder if his stories weren’t true after all. His grandfather’s dying words cause him to go in search of this mysterious island and to find the abandoned orphanage even though those children can’t still be alive… or can they?

I loved how the author incorporated all the old photographs into the story. Having something visual to relate the story to, made it much more interesting. I thought that the storyline was extremely original. It reminded me of those people that performed at the circus with the extraordinary powers, except these were children with extraordinary and they were all kept in an orphanage/school all Harry Potter/X-Men style. I also had no idea that this book was the start of a new series…the ending left me anxious in anticipation of what would happen next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

06/29/2011
5.0% "Lol Suburbia. “Right at the flamingo orgy! Left at the multiethnic roof Santas! Straight past the pissing cherubs!”"
06/29/2011
20.0% "So this isn't exactly what I thought it would be... I envisioned some 'Shutter Island' type novel. Totally just noticed it's YA too. Nevertheless, it's still enjoyable."
06/30/2011
60.0% "“You are pretty like flower, have good smell also, may I pick?”"
06/30/2011
65.0% "“I knew there was something peculiar about you,” she said. “And I mean that as the highest compliment.”"
06/30/2011
90.0% "How the hell do you pronounce 'ymbryes' anyways? While reading this word over and over it's just become the 'y's' in my head. lol" 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Camille It's the start of a series? I had no idea...
I just read this last week and I think that's funny you were expecting Shutter Island - I was expecting The Others. I think the creepy cover was a little misleading, yeah? :)

Bonnie It is a series! I believe the second installment is due out sometime in 2013. The cover was definitely misleading but at least the story was still enjoyable. :)

Ellie Agreed. The cover is a little misleading, but it's a good book.

Bonnie It was. I'm quite excited for the sequel. :)

message 2: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Great review of a book that has been on my radar and now will be moved up. Thanks.

Bonnie Hope you enjoy it, Cheryl!