Thea Guanzon's Reviews > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Jun 29, 2011

liked it
Read from June 27 to 29, 2011

As a former molecular biology and biotechnology major I have always been interested in the story behind the HeLa cell lines, which was why I didn't hesitate to pick up this book. I was disappointed by how the science is dumbed down, but I don't think any mere review will possibly do justice to how dramatic and moving Rebecca Skloot's prose can be. I started crying barely five pages in. The exposition could perhaps have been trimmed or made more engaging, but then again I might just not be used to it as I'm not an avid non-fiction reader. What gets me the most is the very idea of it, the core tragedy of Henrietta Lacks. To be at the mercy of other people your whole life. To live forever, never knowing that you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

06/27/2011 page 11
3.0% "They don't never explain more than just sayin, Yeah, your mother was on the moon, she been in nuclear bombs and made that polio vaccine. I really don't know how she did all that, but I guess I'm glad she did, cause that mean she helpin lots of people. I think she would like that. I don't got it in me no more to fight. I just want to know who my mother was."