Deborah's Reviews > The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure

2069669
Jun 27, 2011

Read in June, 2011

I read an excerpt of this book online a few months ago where the author talked about how after reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series dozens of times growing up, she would pretend that Laura was really there in modern times with her and that she would show her around modern marvels like soda and chocolate. I knew then that I had to read this book.

I love books that discuss re-reading children's books, something I did when I was young, and something I still do now so I love reading books from authors who do the same thing. WendyMcClure not only has re-read the original series, but she has read letters written by and to Laura, critical works, biographies, unpublished writing, and works by Laura's daughter Rose Wilder. She also visits the sights where the book takes place, everywhere from South Dakota to upstate New York where Farmer Boy took place. She meets scholars, young fans, and fundamentalist Christians who love the books because they believe that the end of the world is coming soon and that the books serve as great lessons on how to survive.

Bottom line - if you still love Nellie Olson, or if your mouth waters at the descriptions of all the Christmas dinners, or if you want to learn more about the real Laura and her life, definitely read this book. But even if you aren't a Little House fan from back in the day, this is still a great memoir/literary study.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wilder Life.