Thea's Reviews > Ysabel

F 50x66
Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction-fantasy
Read from June 27 to 29, 2011

This is not listed as a YA selection, but, if you have a precocious kid, this would definitely be the book. The language is all GG Kay -- emotive, evocative -- and the story echoes back to a previous series. Others have complained that you never know enough about what the characters from the previous series are doing there, or who they are, but I didn't find that to be the case. Maybe it helped that I haven't read the series in ages and so didn't remember the characters well enough to become distracted or annoyed.

I enjoyed this story immensely. I found the characters believable, sympathetic and real. The story moved at a satisfying pace, the build-up was neither too obvious nor so mind-bogglingly complex that you felt cheated. Kay's weaving of actual history with moments when the world is touched by "something more" was absolutely pitch perfect. He didn't spend pages trying to explain how things worked or muddle through long digressions into Celtic and Roman theology. It simply was a part of the world and was dealt with as such.

A fun, engaging read. One that I will probably add to my personal library, if not my classroom library.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ysabel.