Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Jun 27, 2011

bookshelves: historical, non-erotic, suspense-mystery, paranormal
Read in June, 2011

originally posted at http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

A spunky, irrepressible heroine and a Sherlock Holmes-ian hero make this Victorian mystery delightful.

Julia Grey Brisbane wants nothing more than to be a full partner in her husband’s life and that means full partner in his private enquiry business. To achieve that goal she studies emerging technologies—like flash gun powder and photography—and takes risks that seem very foolish and unnecessary at times. Past experiences have proven that she is not invincible but have not dimmed her enthusiasm. I am uncertain if she doesn’t realize the extent of the risks she takes or if she relies too heavily on her luck, position in society, and very talented husband to get her out of the scrapes she gets into. There are moments I wanted to shake some sense into her—a sentiment shared by her husband Nicholas Brisbane. Still, she’s quite amusing at times.

Brisbane is what Sherlock Holmes might have been if he’d had a few more social skills and time for women. To quote Winston Churchill out of context, Brisband “is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...” In a word: fascinating. I’d read this story just to find out more about him. I don’t blame Julia a bit for falling in love with him or for doing everything in her power to weave herself into the fabric of his life. Even if some of the things she does make both the reader and Brisbane shake their heads.

The plot is filled with nice twists and turns, humorous and exciting in turn. Unfortunately, it lags a bit in between plot points. The story could have benefitted from condensing the time frame and eliminating downtime. Still, it was a fun read and the characters are compelling enough that if you haven’t read the previous four Julia Grey Novels you’ll want to. That said: The Dark Enquiry easily stands alone. I was five pages into it before I realized I’d read Ms. Raybourn’s first installment. Now, I’ll be getting the rest of them. Who knew reviewing books would be so expensive?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.