Nick's Reviews > The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village

The Voices of Morebath by Eamon Duffy

Jun 27, 11

Read in June, 2011

A great work of scholarship, that unfortunately never comes alive for the general reader.

I read the first two chapters quickly, gaining an insight into the everyday lives and organisation of a small parish in Devon in the 16th Century, and even more detail about how their overt religious lives were organised.

But I just found it increasingly difficult to read through the verbatim quotations with early English spellings and the authors tendency to engage in great detail and never really paint a picture.

I skipped to the section I was particularly interested in - the raising of the "yong men" to fight in the siege of Exeter, 1549. This in itself was worth borrowing the book from the library, seeing how a parish would fund and send its unmarried men off to fight and record it in their parish accounts.

I read the start and end of chapters to get an idea of the scope of the book, and was impressed by how a small community coped with the fast changes in religious worship at the time.

Perhaps a book for someone more deeply engaged in English 16th Century reformation history.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voices of Morebath.