Farrah's Reviews > The Bargain

The Bargain by Mary Jo Putney

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: book-reviews, e-books, my-books
Read in June, 2011

I really liked The Bargain. Read it in a day if that means anything to you. Each page I read I watched the original bargain get weaker and weaker as the two truly fell in love with the other (even if the other didn’t want to recognize it). I was intrigued with Major David Lancaster’s patience for his bargained for wife once he learns he will recover and has fallen for the strong willed and independent Lady Jocelyn Kendal. I was even more intrigued with Lady Jocelyn Kendal as we watch her struggle with love and she finally learns how to trust and love someone enough to be with them. I was also intrigued by the secondary characters as they were just as rich in character as the main ones were. Although, I do think I read more about Lancaster’s sister’s love interest with his doctor than I would have liked, simply because for awhile there I wondered who this story was really supposed to be about.

Overall, I enjoyed The Bargain and found the story to be about the budding relationship between a Major and a Lady as they decide whether they should remain married or go their separate ways. In regards to passionate scenes, Putney balanced it very well for this couple. It wasn’t too much nor over the top, just perfect. I recommend The Bargain to anyone who enjoys historical romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bargain.