Kendra's Reviews > Walking on Broken Glass

Walking on Broken Glass by Christa Allan

Jun 30, 11

Read from June 26 to 30, 2011

I wasn't sure what to think, since this story isn't my usual cup of tea. I worried that it would be too depressing, about a woman struggling in rehab for alcoholism. Once I learned about more of her tragic past, I was sure I wasn't going to like it -- a baby who died of SIDS, sexual and emotional abuse -- why would I want to read about that? But, the more I read, the more I understood this story wasn't depressing at all. It's actually uplifting -- how Leah finds hope in her struggles to confront all that she was escaping with alcohol. Leah's actually a very likable character, even with all of her faults. She's taking a day at a time with her recovery and her doubts are very real. With an ending that allows the reader to imagine Leah's future choices, the author took a chance that some wouldn't appreciate *knowing* exactly what her choices would be in life. I, for one, think it works. We all can believe she'd make the decisions we'd want her to make. B rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking on Broken Glass.