Snorkle's Reviews > Supernaturally

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

May 29, 13

bookshelves: ala-2011, arc, willing-to-swap, review-on-blog
Read from July 27 to 29, 2011

Initial thoughts: I'm still debating on my rating. I don't know if it's a 3 or 4 stars. I didn't like it as much as the first one, that's for sure - but I'm not sure how I stand...I'll give it a couple of days to mull over...but for now, it's just going to be a 3. I liked Evie's voice, but I didn't think this was as thrilling as the first one and there were some things that just didn't make sense and I kept waiting for questions to be answered...I also felt for Lend. And I kind of wish he had a bigger part in the story.

Review:
I had been such a big fan of the first book, Paranormalcy because it was snarky and playful and fun. And I kind of loved that gorgeous cover. I mean, seriously, it was fantastic. This book has a nice cover too, but I would have liked more diversity in color. And I know, here I am nit-picking over the cover art instead of talking about what I did/did not like in the book.

I very much felt like this was in the same vein as the first one and I really liked the premise of Evie having a normal life and finding it to be lacking...but there was something amiss with this story. It was like a spark of something was missing, and I wasn't quite sure what. It still had some of the same snippy dialogue and wonderfully unique characters, but I was not in love with it nearly as much as the first book - and maybe that's because the first one was so FRESH and different after reading the ho-hum drum of paranormal YA books out there. It was a refreshing break to read this sort of book that poked fun at the idea of paranormal activity and yet it was still was an interesting read and kept me engaged in the story. It was entertaining, but I was still confused about some things (being vague because I don't want to be spoilery) and I do wish Lend had a bigger part in this story. He was just so much fun in the first book and I had been looking forward to getting to know him better and seeing what sort of relationship would develop between him and Evie.

I'm not really sure what else to say. This book was a little bit of a disappointment. I liked the premise, I liked the characters, and I liked the world, but for whatever reason, this book didn't latch on to me quite as well as the first and I didn't find myself falling in love. I'd still recommend it and I'm planning on reading the final book. I just don't know when I'll get around to it.

*Taken from My Sentiments Exactly!: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2013...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supernaturally.