Nafiza's Reviews > May B.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011, net-galley, debut-authors-12
Read in August, 2011

I love stories in verse therefore I wasn't much surprised when I ended up enjoying May B. a whole lot more than I had expected to. There's this cleanliness about the poetry that makes it easy to read. The thing with writing a story in verse is that you have to be very careful about the details you put and the ones you leave out. Because of the structure, you cannot, as you would in prose form novels, describe things to the minute detail. I felt that May B. very successfully portrayed Mavis and the situation she found herself in while still managing to make her a character that one could empathize with. And relate to. Mavis's desire to read and to eventually teach are particularly poignant especially when the modern reader realizes that the possibility of it occurring is little to one.

I also really liked how the changing climate is given consideration and Mavis's feelings as she realizes that she has been abandoned. All in all, this is a beautiful novel with beautiful, eloquent poetry. If you want a glimpse of a girl defying all odds to survive, you should give May B. a try. I recommend it anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May B..