Barbara's Reviews > Pretty Bad Things

Pretty Bad Things by C.J. Skuse

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: ncbla
Read in June, 2011

Told in alternating chapters between twins Beau and Paisley, this edgy novel may appeal to plenty of teens looking for a little something different. While I liked the premise and the siblings' love for their father, which is what prompts this road trip from Hollywood to Las Vegas, the behavior of the grandmother strained my patience and detracted from my enjoyment of the book. The last quarter of the book simply disappointed me after the book had started so well. The author's exploration of the dark side of fame and America's obsession even with victims or survivors of crimes was quite interesting, and I'd have enjoyed more of that aspect of the book. It was interesting to find out what happened to two children whose mother died, leaving them to wander alone through the woods for three days. How can anyone grow up to be normal after that sort of thing--especially when the other parent is incarcerated, and they never hear from him? The whole idea of taking doughnuts, candy, ice cream, and popcorn in order to get noticed was pretty cool although it was over the top as well. I was not impressed with the sudden change in Beau either since the author fails to provide reasons for the turnaround. Paisley still has plenty of issues and a strong personality so I can't see her suddenly taking a back seat to her brother. After all, she is impulsive and had put herself in risky situations more than once.

I loved the idea that websites devoted to the Argent twins would spring up, and they'd have fans and t-shirts. Could there be any other city more perfect for all the crimes the twins commit than Las Vegas?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Bad Things.