Blake Northcott's Reviews > Star Wars: Death Troopers

Star Wars by Joe Schreiber

Jun 27, 11

Read in June, 2011

If you love zombies, you’ll like this book.

If you love Star Wars, you’ll really like this book.

And if your two favourite things in the entire world happen to be zombies AND Star Wars, you’ll probably have an orgasm before you finish reading the first chapter.

I was originally drawn to this book by the cover, and by the fact that I needed an audio book to listen to on a long drive, and this filled my three criteria: it was unabridged, around 6 hours in length, and looked interesting.

The Story

Death Troopers is somewhat of a one-shot (or almost a ‘what-if’ scenario that loosely falls into the Star Wars timeline a few years before A New Hope).

The story follows two teenage brothers – Kale and Trig Longo – through their experiences aboard a prison barge called The Purge. It goes into detail about their trials and tribulations living as two humans imprisoned among “five hundred of the galaxy's most ruthless killers, rebels, scoundrels and thieves”.

I’m not giving anything away by revealing that after a while the guards and some inmates start to become zombies, and the typical zombie-fighting wackiness ensues.

The Good Stuff

Technically, this is a fantastic piece of work. Joe Schreiber does a great job of describing the character’s emotions, pacing the adventure, and setting the atmosphere in a cold, dark prison ship filled with the undead.

There are some twists and turns, as well as a surprise appearance about halfway through the book by some well-known Star Wars favourites (I highly recommend NOT reading any spoilers or additional material about this book if you don’t want to ruin the surprise).

As far as the audio production goes, it was the best I’ve ever heard by FAR. The narrator is able to convey every voice perfectly, and the addition of music (yes, the actual John Williams Star Wars themes!), sound effects and other little touches really makes the audio version of this book come to life.

My complaints

On the downside I felt that the ending was a little flat, and I didn’t feel that the overall premise of the zombies (and how they originated in this case) was anything different than what we’ve seen a zillion times before - but the suspense, action, and horrifying moments definitely added some spice to a well-worn meme.

My final thoughts

Overall it was a great experience; fun characters, great pacing and some very surprising twists and turns. The next time I’m looking for an audio book I will be checking the Star Wars section first because the production value was incredible.

4/5

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew At first I was unsure about this book. But I read it and loved it. I totally agree with you on this review.

Good job on your first ever book review.

AHooghkirk

Blake Northcott Thank you so much, Andrew!

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan Well done Blake!

Blake Northcott Jan wrote: "Well done Blake!"

Thanks Jan!!

David I've almost picked this book up a few times. It does sound good. Might have to grab it next time I'm out

Blake Northcott David wrote: "I've almost picked this book up a few times. It does sound good. Might have to grab it next time I'm out"

Cool! I hope you like it, David. I would definitely recommend doing the audio version too, but because it's done SO well.