Delaney Diamond's Reviews > Soca Nights

Soca Nights by Lexy Harper

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, black-romance-not-af-am
I own a copy

This book had a lot going on. At times it didn't even seem like a traditional romance because it dealt with so many issues: Kevin's marriage falling apart, the betrayal by his best friend and the complications that arise once he discovers his friend had always been in love with his wife, dealing with the loss of his son, and Kimberly dealing with her parents and then her very rude and jealous cousin, Cheryl.

One of the things I really liked was how the romantic relationship between the two leads, Kevin and Kimberly, unfolded. They dated and spent time with each other before they slept together. Because Kevin was still married (though estranged from his wife) when they met, he and Kimberly took the relationship slow, and I appreciate how upfront he was with her about his feelings for his wife.

But this is a romance, and of course no matter how much Kimberly thought she could shield her heart and keep from falling in love with him by trying to just be friends, that didn't happen. They fell deeply in love with each other.

The complicated relationship between Kevin, his ex-wife, and his best friend was handled in a mature way that I don't think I would have been mature enough to handle had it happened to me. But despite the betrayal, the author made it so that you didn't hate the best friend and the ex. In fact, I felt a sense of sadness for all of them because it was just a situation that occurred, without any malicious intent, and deep regret on all sides.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soca Nights.