Katie's Reviews > A Million Suns

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: from-publisher-for-review, favorites, signed, sci-fi, penguin, worst-cliffhangers
Read on November 22, 2011

In a word, this book is brilly! I'm not sure why, but I was really hesitant to read this one, afraid it wouldn't be as good as Across the Universe. Oh, how silly I was! This book was even better than the first - it exceeded my expectations tenfold.

We were left at the end of Across the Universe reeling after discovering the truth about Amy's unplugging. How would she respond? How would Elder now lead Godspeed? And will they ever make it to Centauri-Earth? A Million Suns picks up three months later, with everyone on the ship now off the Phydus drug but also a lot more disgruntled with the current leadership.

The politics of the Godspeed really come to the forefront in this book. And what I loved was that Beth Revis doesn't shy away from allowing her characters to make tough choices. There's a lot of discussion about what makes a good leader and what must be sacrificed for the greater good. Elder really comes into his own in this book, which I loved. He was a little wimpy in the first book (understandably), but we see him mature a lot in the sequel.

His romance with Amy also blossoms in A Million Suns. I've got to say that the romance between these two is one of my favorites in YA right now. Revis has really caught the truth in the less-is-more theory: Amy and Elder aren't all over each other all the time, thereby making their romantic moments that much sweeter because there are so few. Plus, I love how Amy really isn't sure about Elder. Does she love him? Does he even really love her? How can she love someone when he's the only option? It was great! And Elder is precious, as per usual. You can't help but love him and his puppy dog-ness.

I also loved Amy's uneasiness about the ship. I've got to say that there is something incredibly creepy about what Beth Revis has created in these books - being stuck on a ship for the rest of your life, confined within a county-sized area FOREVER. *shudder* I can't even begin to explain to you how terrifying that is to me. I've always had a bit of a restless spirit, and I can't imagine living my life that way. So I really can relate to Amy's feeling of being stifled. Forget the real sun and real rain - I wouldn't want to see the same exact people day after day, and walk the same streets day after day until I died. I would genuinely go crazy.

And the writing. *sigh* There is something so simplistic and beautiful about Beth Revis' writing style. I adore it. It's not frilly like Maggie Stiefvater's, but it's also not Spartan like Veronica Rossi's. It's very dramatic and reads like true thoughts. I love how she utilizes line breaks and run-on sentences and even words scrunched together into one word to reflect consciousness. It all makes the English nerd inside me do a little happy dance.

But what really made me love this book was the mystery and suspense. Although I enjoyed Across the Universe, I figured out who the murderer was like 50 pages into the book. So the mystery just wasn't there for me in that one, which was disappointing. Plus, I thought Amy and Elder were really stupid for not figuring it out. But in A Million Suns, I couldn't figure out who was causing all the trouble. And the trail that Orion leaves for Amy to follow, along with the huge surprise that's dropped about halfway through the book, seriously had me flipping through the pages rapid-fire.

Let's talk about that big surprise. And for those of you who don't like spoilers, know right now, major spoilers ahead. (view spoiler)

Honestly, this is one of the best sophomore books I've ever read. The action was nonstop, the suspense kept me glued to the pages, and the romance was sweet and slow-developing. But now I have to wait forever for the next one. I can't wait to find out what happens to Amy and Elder next!

But on a more negative note, the cover. Really? Elder is wearing jeans??? It just doesn't capture the same feeling as the first one, which is one of my all-time favorite covers EVER. I was really disappointed with this cover. But that's okay, because the contents make up for it. :)
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Suns.

11/22/2011 page 231