All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Head Rush

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in December, 2011

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

HEAD RUSH is a book that almost wasn’t (a thousand thank yous to Samhain and Carolyn Crane for making sure this book happened). It survived a publisher switch, format shifts, and some rather odd release dates (audio version first, then ebook, and finally print sometime in 2012), but when an author is as creative and consistent as Carolyn Crane, when a series is as mind blowingly good as The Disillusionists Trilogy, and when the final book in that series is as exhilarating as HEAD RUSH, it’s more than worth the wait.

There are no vampires or werewolves in HEAD RUSH. No fairies or witches or anything that you might expect to find in a typical urban fantasy. That’s because there is nothing typical about The Disillusionists Trilogy. Instead of fangs, we get phobias. Crippling, mind numbing fears that Justine and her fellow crime fighters have learned to weaponize in order to keep the streets of Midcity safe. Except, Justine doesn’t just suffer from off the charts hypochondria, she also plagued by a guilty conscience that attacks her every time she zings her fear into someone else—even if they deserve it. As bad as I feel for Justine when her fears rage out of control, it’s so crazy fun to read!

The cliffhanger at the end of DOUBLE CROSS was as evil as they come, and from the very first page of HEAD RUSH, all those same emotions of disbelief, rage, and shock at what had happened came back in an instant. It was awesome. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I will say that my emotions did a complete 180 by the last page. However, because this book is linked so inexorably to the previous one, you’ll want to read them in order (and really, this series is so amazing, you wouldn’t want to skip one anyway) to fully appreciate the character evolution and treachery of a certain character.

There was a time not to long ago when I despaired of ever reading this book. And yes, I’m using the word despaired because it would have been a terrible thing to miss out on the final installment in the increasingly excellent, completely unique, genre stretching series that is The Disillusionists Trilogy. There is a new novella about Simon coming in February/March 2012, but otherwise this is it for Justine, and the only thing consoling me is the news that Carolyn Crane has two new series in the works. I have no doubt they will be worth the wait too.

Sexual Content:
One non graphic sex scene, one moderately graphic sex scene.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head Rush.