All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Frost Burned

Mar 01, 13

bookshelves: 2013-march-hotp, reviewed-by-abigail
Read in March, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

It’s been two years since the last Mercy Thompson novel was published, but life for these characters hasn’t remained completely stagnant. If you’ve been reading the other series set in the Mercy Thompson world, Alpha and Omega, you know that some seriously huge stuff has happened regarding the Fae. We predicted that the fallout would hit Tri-Cities, and it did.

Mercy has gone through quite a transformation since MOON CALLED introduced us to the loner coyote shifter mechanic. Mercy is now fully integrated into the wolf pack of her husband, she has fae and vampire allies and more enemies that half a dozen other urban fantasy heroines combined. She’s wiser and shrewder, but just as impulsive when danger threatens others. I’ll admit to finding the previous book, RIVER MARKED, a touch slow compared to the rest of the serious mostly because Adam and Mercy together aren’t nearly as satisfying as Mercy on her own. That’s part of what made FROST BURNED feels like classic Mercy. Adam is abducted at the very start and Mercy goes on the hunt to rescue him, calling on old friends like Stefan and Zee, and a new friend that A&O fans will recognize and find thrilling in this new setting (I definitely hope he sticks around).

There’s a reason the Mercy Thompson series is one of our 10 Best Urban Fantasy series. Tri-Cities is a crazy/cool melting pot of supernatural beings. Fae, Wolves, and Vampires coexist in a perfectly tense balance that is always threatening to topple one direction or another, leaving countless human and nonhuman casualties in the wake. And then we have Mercy Thompson. Not super strong, not super powerful, but loyal and smart and clever enough to dart through all the posturing and politics of the various supernatural communities and emerge mostly unscathed. And there is still a mystery about Mercy that, even after seven books, hasn’t gone stale.

What’s up next for this series? A book of short stores set in ‘Mercy’s World’ including stories about Ben and Samuel. The next full book will be either an Alpha and Omega book or something new set in this same world. While we may have to wait for it, there is currently one more book contacted for the Mercy Thompson series. I’ll always want more Mercy, but I’m learning that however long it takes, Mercy Thompson books are always worth the wait.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex and rape.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost Burned.