Jennifer at The Bawdy Book Blog's Reviews > Then Came You

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner

Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read from June 26 to July 04, 2011

Then Came You is the story of 4 women, brought together by the circumstance of infertility. Each chapter is told from their various POVs, something I'm actually not too fond of. I am a reader who loves the 1st-person, but only when it's done correctly. Multiple 1st-person POVs make it difficult to keep up with whose head you're in and that's a little pet peeve of mine. I think it would have been better executed in the 3rd-person. But I digress.

The plot is genuinely unique. Not many others have the balls (ovaries?) to write a fictional piece on such as sensitive a subject as infertility, especially when her core demographic are women in their 20's through 40's. I enjoyed the progression of a child through all of their lives, and how neatly it comes together. But then, therein lies the problem, too.

It's too neat, nothing (short of one incident) surprises me. Affluent woman-child in her 20's who hates her new stepmother? Check. Hard-up-for-cash mother (also in her 20's)? Check. College student trying to earn money? Check. 40-something who wants a baby? Check. Check check and check. Then Came You is told well; Weiner is good at what she does: investing you in her characters. But the story felt dry and formulaic. It simply was not the page-turner I thought it would be. I want a book that's going to grab me and make me want to stay up at night, just so I can devour the story. Then Came You was thoughtful, it was unique, it was (a little) heart-wrenching. But it was not riveting and I wish it had been.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Came You.