J's Reviews > Everywhere That Mary Went

Everywhere That Mary Went by Lisa Scottoline

U 50x66
Jun 26, 11

Read in June, 2011

BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

Disclaimer - my "reviews" are not truly that. Rather than a critical analysis, each "review" is mostly my quick summary of the plot -- so I can refresh my unreliable memory. Also, I find that once I journal a book, it's easier for me to give it away. That's important, as our house is getting "overgrown" with books.

---

Mary DiNunzio is one of Scottoline's short heroines. (all are either tall or short).

I've been reading Scottoline -- whose work I like a lot -- out of sequence. So it was fun in this one to meet Mary "pre-Rosato."

The key plot line -- that a federal judge is wack-o in love w. Mary (to the point of killing her husband) is over the top. But I've realized that even with an overtopped plot, Scottoline has a lot of interesting things to say -- about twin-ness, why a teen might withold info (rape/abortion) fr. parents, the loss (murder by same judge) of Mary's gay secretary, Brent. Eye-opening to see someone as sensitive as Mary judge her new/potential lover, Ned, by the contents of his medicine cabinet.

I didn't like the reality, according to Mary, that law -- or at least lawyers -- operate on a "fuck back" principle. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not real, though.

Also interesting is seeing a Scottline novel where the last line of each chapter is not always a punch line (something the author falls into as a "signature" in later novels, it seems to me.)

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everywhere That Mary Went.