Stephanie's Reviews > Kiss Me, I'm Irish

Bella Street
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 448 KB
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Firefly Press (April 19, 2011)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

To purchase please see author's ad in far right side column.

Ick-Factor: none
Cliche-component, original ideas and situations but basic story line is predictable; it is a lovely Love Story with some twists.

Product Description

Emily Musgrave is heading a direction she never wanted to go in Regency England--namely a convent to turn her from her waywardness. But it's more loneliness than rebellion that motivates her to escape her certain fate.

Liam Jackson is going nowhere fast in modern-day Tennessee. Playing his Dobro in seedy bars and backward dives along with his fiddling sister, Tinker, is doing nothing for his music career--and even less for the dark places in his soul.

Pixie mischief can not only change time-lines, it can change hearts. Because sometimes a girl just needs a little magic in her life.

From the Back Cover
In 1830, Emily Musgrave is heading to a convent for misbehavior. In modern-day Tennessee, Liam Jackson is playing his Dobro in seedy bars. It's doing nothing for his career and even less for the dark places in his soul.

Lately, Time Travel is jumping up as a theme is everywhere I look—I hope it's not an omen and I learn it's real the hard way. Are Time Travelers the new Vampire?

I doubt the young heroine in Bella Street's new book, Kiss Me I'm Irish, ever gave a thought to time travel. Actually, It began to come up in popular literature in the mid-nineteenth century. So, I do not believe Miss Emily Musgrave, being spirited away through Cornwall in her carriage to a convent would have thought much about it, until it happens to her as she makes her escape from the carriage hoping to land at her own estate. Where she lands is outside a biker bar in Tennessee, where she is found by a sister and brother musical team, Tinker and Liam. Emily believe Pixies caused her time shifting. What do you think?

They take Emily in Tinker enthusiastically and Liam begrudgingly. I loved Emily's introduction to twenty-first century hygiene especially the use of a toilet. Bella took up an issue that is often ignored. Emily did take to them quickly, but who wouldn't.

They have a series of adventures regarding a nasty villainous man who tries to kill Tinker and steal Emily's gold coins which he discovers when they sell some for ready cash. In a twist on the plot device, Deus ex Machina, the baddies bring in someone to force the gold from her.
In the end of course the bad guy loses but not without you wondering wher someone had to be sacrificed for the HEA.

Street's writing reminded me a bit of Sara Addison Allen who wrote Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen. Like both of those books a subtle form of magic (usually subtle) is employed as a big part of the mechanics of moving the plot along.

I did find Liam's perpetual bad mood somewhat hard to believe. I think he was on the dark side of grey all the time. Part of it's because he is unhappy with his life, other times it's a dark secret and then he wants Emily but thinks she is either nuts or scheming. And, coming from 1813 to 2011 is Emily's, and later another traveler's, adapting to the current time period is pretty quick and easy.

I think Street knew where the plot was going and got it there at a good pace. The characters are charming, usually. Emily proves quite astute. There is a little touching, and while Emily was being sent away for being fast, she reminds Liam that she was not that fast. Great for the Beach or a plane trip.

Solid Recommend, I enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss Me, I'm Irish.