Stephanie's Reviews > Vision Impossible

Jun 26, 11

VISION IMPOSSIBLE
Victoria Laurie

Kindle Edition: 453 KB
Publisher: NAL (July 5, 2011)
Sold by: Penguin Publishing
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: New American Library; 1st edition (July 5, 2011)
Book provided by Publicist for eading and possible review.
No remuneration was exchanged and all thought are my own unless otherwise noted.
Read 6/13-14

No ick and refreshingly little cliché.

Please enter the giveaway at the end of the review and author bio.

Product Description
Abby Cooper's next mission may truly be impossible...

Abby Cooper, the FBI's newest Civilian Profiler, is adding Spy to her resume. The military's digital photography software that captures one's aura- just like Abby can-sits in a drone aircraft that's been stolen. It's a major breach in security as every country's leader can be identified by their aura...

Abby springs into action to stop the criminals before they set their diabolical plan into motion, while making herself a prime target.
amazon.com

My thoughts:

I really was not imagining I would like this book as much as I did. I thought it was going to be some cookie cutter Chick lit, but I was pleasantly surprised! And learned once again about making assumptions! Victoria, the writer is a renowned psychic. So, when she discusses Abigail's talents it is very forthright and there isn't too much suspension of disbelief required. I like how the type of gift she has is called intuitive. It make sense that we could have a more highly developed intuitive nature.

This is at least the ninth book in this series. Never having heard of it before, I thought there would be a lot missing without back-story. But, this book stood really well on its own and if I didn't know about the series I wouldn't have even known. That's pretty good proof that she is "not phoning it in," as can happen with some long series. I am surprised I hadn't run across Laurie's work before.

Character is more complicated because it's a series. You can't profile each character in each book; it would bore the followers. Some characters, like Abigail, Maks (a wealthy bookie) and Frost (A CIA agent) are well developed. Dutch, Abigail's fiance,was not so developed, but he was undercover as another character in the story. While we learn a lot about the character he is posing as, we don't know Dutch himself very well. We know he is honorable and devoted to Abigail, who he calls Edgar. But, in this book, we know more about the man he is posing as, DeVries a nasty, woman beating, arms dealer.

The plot was very intricate with a lot of surprises all throughout the book. Until the end, I didn't know who dunnit! It was as intricate as one of the Bourne Supremacy books. There are several times where you think that someone important to the plot is going to die and that an HEA is not in the cards (and it can't be an HEA for everybody, right?). Although it was intricate the cast of characters was not huge so I was able to keep track of what was happening.

I loved how smart Abigail is, and how she thinks. She has a great, and often snarky sense of humor, even when she is in trouble. When Dutch is in trouble she is a tough nut and gets very upset about the pain and danger he is in and she will go to any length to save him. She actually bails him out quite a bit. Frost is frosty until Abigail warms his personality up and Maks is like a hot Slavic blanket. But, I still had the feeling with Frost that if your got too close the door would slam shut. And, with Maks, the nicest blanket can turn out to be too hot.

My final thoughts are this is a well written and exciting book with a lot of action and a smart psychic who, mostly, gets in trouble and then usually gets her self out of it too. I highly recommend Vision Impossible. Awesome beach book!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision Impossible.