An Odd1's Reviews > The World of Winnie-the-Pooh

The World of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fan

A. A. Milne is a favorite all my life. I've been curious as Roo, small as Piglet, enthusiastic as Tigger, hopeful as Winnie, pendantic as Owl, motherly as Kanga, downcast as Eeyore, and dreamily inhabited trees and clouds. Bouncing rhymes, period drawings, easy tales, engage all ages. The Hundred Acre Wood is a place of magic, to find Heffalumps with a Hobbit sense of frequent refreshments, lure away bees, rescue lost friends, battle rainstorms, have funny light adventures. I never quite agreed with the Disney voices, the more rounded shapes are alright, but the original books are best.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World of Winnie-the-Pooh.

message 1: by Wyndslash (new) - added it

Wyndslash Hi! I'm quite interested in this book, but as it turns out, there are a TON of Pooh books out there and was wondering if this is the best version :)

An Odd1 Short answer - anything original Milne with drawings.
I chose the recent collection of old favorites (not Disney version) and mentioned a few of the adventures to summarize and be representative of the many I have read and listened to in half a century. Roo is dosed with medicine by his mum Kanga to discourage his curiosity, Piglet discovers he is braver than his size would indicate, everyone finds they would rather have Tigger bouncing and bumbling than not - morals of loyalty and courage have humor, neither pendatic nor condescending like some modern child-oriented literature and so-called entertainment or education. The history of Winnie being named after an actual Winnipeg bear by a Brit soldier also influences my patriotic bias. I always cry on Remembrance Day.
Happy Canada Day!

An Odd1 Since you favor a quote on the love between Christopher Robin & his Bear and mark "The Tao of Pooh..." to-read, I posted thoughts there.