Ruby's Reviews > Winter's Shadow

Winter's Shadow by M.J. Hearle

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: teen, australian

This review was first posted on http://www.rubysreads.com.

I think I first saw Winter's Shadow on one of Small's No More Waiting posts, and I immediately wanted to read it. I fully admit that my desire was fueled by the fact that the book isn't available in the States. At least, unless you want to order a copy from Australia. So, in truth, I fell victim to that old trap: exclusivity. Winter's Shadow was the Berkin bag of teen books. Thus I was thrilled when Darkfallen emailed me about this book tour. I jumped on the chance to read a heretofore inaccessible title. And, yes, I totally just wanted to be able to use the word "heretofore" in a sentence.
I'm really glad I got to read this one because it would have haunted me if I hadn't. That almost makes up for the fact that it wasn't worth all the hype. You really don't need to order this book from Australia because you've read it before. In the US, it was published under the following titles: Twilight, Dead Beautiful, Die for Me and Evermore. Among so many others. It's basic. Girl is shy and unpopular with dead/absent parents. She meets mysterious guy. There is much that is mysterious about him, including his incredible good looks. And, oh yeah, Girl in much danger. Boy resists the attraction to the Girl until he can resist no longer.
Winter's Shadow follows the formula to a T, but that wasn't the part that really disappointed me. I thought that the mere fact of the author and the setting being Australian would add a little spice. It didn't. There's nothing in Winter's Shadow that would indicate that the entire story (and all of the characters) couldn't be scooped up and plopped down anywhere in the US. Never has globalization made me so incredibly sad.
I really wanted to like this book. I was fully prepared to like it. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations. The characters didn't stand out, or have particular personalities and the plot wasn't anything new. Because the setting failed to evoke Australia (or anywhere else), it was a dud, too. The writing wasn't actively bad, but it didn't grab me. Altogether, I'd have to list this book as a mediocre attempt. I'm glad I got it out of my system, but this won't be a series I'll be romantically lusting after anymore.
2 1/2 Points: I'd Glance at This Book Through a Store Window.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Shadow.