Jennifer (Books That Spark)'s Reviews > Bloody Bones

Bloody Bones by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, own-finished-copy
Read in July, 2011

Bloody Bones is the fifth instalment of the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novel series, written by Laurell K. Hamilton. Although Hamilton does an excellent job of allowing these novels to standalone without constant reminders of the previous instalments, I recommend reading the series in order to allow for deeper understanding of the characters and their backgrounds.

In this instalment we see Anita Blake, animator at Animators Inc. and legal vampire executioner, travel to St. Louis for one of the biggest jobs in her career. Her task is to raise an entire graveyard for law firm Beadle, Beadle, Stirling and Lowenstein. The problem is the remains of the graveyard have been tampered with and even if this wasn't the case, Anita won't perform the human sacrifice that might be required to do the job right. However, as it's come to be expected in Anita's life, this is only the start of the problems she has to overcome.

The book had a different vibe to it in comparison to the earlier ones. How? I'm not entirely sure , it just felt different to me. That doesn't mean that it wasn't as good – it was! The aspect I enjoyed most about this instalment was the work Hamilton put in to developing the characters. I especially enjoyed learning about Larry; Animator in training and Anita's apprentice. Although he was introduced to readers in Circus of the Damned, Bloody Bones allows readers to learn a lot more about him. By the climax of the book he grew to be one of my new favourite characters in this series. I especially love the sibling like relationship Anita shares with him. I'm looking forward to reading more of him in future instalments.

In terms of Anita's love life, she's gone from not dating to having two men in her life. One is werewolf Richard Zeeman and the other is master vampire Jean Claude. This book focuses more on Anita's relationship with Jean-Claude. This book is a turning point in their relationship as Anita asks him for help for the first time. As the pair grow closer, we learn more about his background. Bad news for those who are fans of Richard – he appears only in the beginning of the novel for a short period of time.

Despite the different vibe the core of what makes these books such a great read for me remained. They're a mixture of the supernatural, romance and mystery. I'm still yet to guess who the bad guy's are in Hamilton's well developed plots and for me, this makes all the books in the series impossible to put down and Bloody Bones is no exception.

www.booksthatspark.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Bones.