Hayden's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, arc, won-it, blurred-opinion, ending-sucked, mega-awesome-cover, own-it, series-kind-of-dropped
Read from July 23 to 25, 2011

I graciously received GLOW from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway, and the book was provided by the publishers, St. Martin's Press! Thank you all for this wonderful opportunity!

Actually, this is closer to three-and-a-half stars, but I don't do half stars, so it's four.

There are some books out there that are completely clear in their intentions, whose characters are completely either good or evil, whose plot is simple enough to be easily understood. Let me tell you know that GLOW is not one of those books. GLOW is not a book you sit down to read intending to finish it in one sitting and move on with your life. GLOW is one of those books you sit down to read intending to savor it and become engrossed in the not-so-clear intentions of the characters and the constant twists and turns of the plot.

GLOW is written in third-person perspective, something which doesn't enhance anything about it and seems to kind of disconnect you from the narrator characters. The reader feels more emotionally attached to a character who speaks from the first-person perspective because you think, "What if I was experiencing this?" With third-person perspective, you think someone else is experiencing it and you don't pay attention to what is really going on. The perspective of the book is one of the two factors I feel chopped off a whole star from me.

Imagine it like this:

Scenario 1 (Third-Person Narrative)

You're watching this on TV.

How do you feel? Maybe you laugh, say "Wow, that would probably hurt!" and carry on.

Scenario B (First-Person Perspective)

Your friend tells you, "Wow, I got in a really bad ski accident," which plays out like this in your head:

How do you feel? You are starstruck, say "Oh, wow, I'm so sorry! I bet that really hurt," and feel bad for them.

Which would you rather read about? The emotionally-detached one or the intense, attached one?

That's how I felt about GLOW, like it would've majorly benefited from a re-vamp perspective-wise.

Now, I have the other reason GLOW is only four stars:

The conclusion.

Which it shouldn't be called, because the story felt in no way concluded at all. Ryan's lame attempt at a cliffhanger didn't help, either. If you've read this book, you know what I'm talking about. How it resolved felt in no way resolved, and like Ryan was just setting you up to buy the next 11 installments of the SKY CHASERS Series. The main, persistent problem set up within the first 60 pages of GLOW isn't even resolved. Something else is minorly wrapped up, but when I closed the back cover of the book, I felt in no way satisfied by the ending.

GLOW is an extremely enticing read with twists and turns around every corner, but it lacks emotionally with main characters written poorly and an open-ended conclusion that doesn't fully deliver. The cast of supporting characters is suspicious enough that you don't know who you can trust -- and when you do, you're wrong. High-octane action and suspense make GLOW a hit!
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.

07/23/2011 page 40
13.0% "This is really engrossing (just like Lauren Myracle said)!"
07/24/2011 page 93
30.0% "The third-person perspective really degrades the suspense and detaches us from the characters. The multiple point of views is used effectively, but at the same time the characters aren't emotionally attached to me and I don't feel like I'm really engrossed in the story."
07/24/2011 page 111
36.0% "Hmm... I didn't realize this was so religious. It's kind of preachy in the religious sense."
07/25/2011 page 111
36.0% "Very high-action, dramatic, and suspenseful . . . yet, at the same time, I feel really disconnected from the characters."
07/25/2011 page 186
61.0% "Very high-action, dramatic, and suspenseful . . . yet, at the same time, I feel really disconnected from the characters."
07/25/2011 page 221
72.0% "The last line of the previous chapter (with some parts edited out for spoiler protection): "It was time to kill [******]."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza dude, three people on my friends list won this book through first-reads. how cool! :D

Hayden I can't wait for it to show up! :D
Only 3 weeks or so left . . . :/

message 3: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones Great review, Hayden!

Hayden Thanks, Darynda! :)